Select Geographic Unit
Community Clusters Available
The 2016 Nova Scotia Health Atlas base geography files and associated population counts are now available.
- Community Clusters (.zip)
- Community Health Networks (.zip)
Community Health Management Zones (.zip)
- Please note: the three geographic units were unchanged from the 2011 geography units.
Population by Cluster-CHN-MZ geography-Census 2011 & 2016 (.xlsx)
- This Excel table shows how the hierarchy of four geographic units (Dissemination Areas (DAs), Community Clusters, Community Health Networks and Management Zones) are grouped, how the population of each area was estimated based on the 2011 and 2016 Census, and population changes between the 2011 and 2016 Census.
Nova Scotia Health Atlas Report on 2011 to 2016 Atlas Geography Change (.pdf).
- This brief technical document explains changes with the updating of the Atlas geography based on the census change.
Coding and Population Estimates for the NS Health Atlas Geographies: A technical primer on population data and how to use population weighing for split DAs (.pdf).
This brief technical document explains:
- how area units in the Community Clusters, Community Health Networks and Management Zones are coded,
- which DAs are split and assigned weights for population calculation, and
- how the Excel population table above can be used to summarize population data (DA-level census count data).
- This brief technical document explains:
DA-Cluster conversion tools (5 files):
- DA-CC_Conversion_Script_Readme (.docx)
- DA-CC-Conversion (.sas)
- DA-CC Conversion Environment (.RData)
- DA-CC-Conversion-File (.csv)
- Living-Alone-DA-Level (.csv)